Monday, July 2, 2012

words for surgery


Below are the words I have asked to be read to me during my surgery tomorrow.  I am to be at the hospital (Mercy Fore River, Portland) at 11 AM for a procedure that begins at 12:15.  The surgery should last about 2 hours.  I'll then go to recovery and eventually to a room for an overnight.  I should be sent home on Wednesday, July 4th and the cancer will have been removed.  Hooray!

If you feel so inclined, you might also read the statements aloud to me between 12:15 and 2:30.  Thanks!


I believe that the words spoken to me while I am unconscious have a powerful impact on my healing.  I believe in the benefits of positive statements spoken during surgery.  Thank you for reading the following statements during today's procedure.


Before surgery, please read this aloud to me 5 times:
Your operation will go very well.  Following this operation, you will feel comfortable and you will heal very well.

As surgery is about to begin, please read this aloud to me 5 times:
You will feel safe with this wonderful medical staff to take care of you.  Your body will relax which will help the operation go smoothly.

During surgery, please read this aloud to me 5 times:
Your operation is going very well.
Please feel free to talk to me and offer other words of encouragement and support.

After surgery, please read this aloud to me 5 times:
Your operation has gone very well.  You will wake up hungry and thirsty and you will be able to urinate easily.
You will be able to take slow, deep breaths that will help your body start the healing process.
Your body will comfortably adjust to the changes and heal nicely.  The drains will work efficiently and effectively.
You will feel your strength returning as you do the daily exercises, and your body will heal smoothly because of this.
You will have a healthy appetite every day and sleep well at night.

No comments: