Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Adding Dimension with Stencils and Gesso

This is one of the posts I did for Outside the Box yesterday:


Remember when brass stencils and embossing pastes were all the rage?  I thought I might try some of my old embossing pastes with the new Memory Box stencils.  But they were all dried up.  What to do?  I had a jar of gesso with my paints and I thought that might work--and it did!  Here's how I used the gesso to add dimension to panels I made for card fronts.
IMG_0127
IMG_0132
IMG_0133
IMG_0134
IMG_0146
How cool is that!  
Materials/Procedure
  • Gesso by Golden
  • palette knife (but stiff cardstock or a credit card would work)
  • Peeled Paint Distress Reinker
  • Neenah White cardstock
  • Memory Box Stencil Texture Disperse No. 88507
  • Tape the stencil in place over the piece of cardstock.  I worked on a piece of waxed paper.  Put a dollop of the gesso onto the waxed paper and add a drop or two of the reinker.  Mix with the palette knife.  Spread evenly over the stencil.  Carefully peel up the stencil and set the piece aside to dry. (It may take several hours depending on how thick the gesso is applied.)
To assemble the card--Materials/Procedure
  • Trim the dotted piece to fit the card front
  • Tie a piece of coordinating ribbon around this piece
  • Adhere to the front of a Dill notecard
  • Die cut and assemble Fabulous Flox Die No. 98511 to create the blossom
  • Add a pearl in the center and adhere the blossom to the upper left corner of the card panel.
Here are a few other cards I made using the same technique of gesso over a stencil.  With these I did not add color to the gesso before using with the stencil.  
IMG_0129
Here's a page of just the white gesso using the Testure Disperse stencil again on a piece of white cardstock.  And here's the finished card--I just did direct to paper Hero Arts Butter Bar ink on the dots.
IMG_0148
  • Gesso and palette knife
  • Texture Disperse Stencil No. 88507
  • Memory Box Graceful Silhouette Die No. 98604
  • scrap of Memory Box Skip to my Lou paper from the Minuet Collection
  • Squash Distressed Dots paper
  • large circle punch
  • dotted yellow ribbon
  • White notecard
IMG_0147
  • Gesso and palette knife, white cardstock
  • Memory Box Stencil Garden Fronds No. 88502
  • Memory Box Die Cottage Leaf No. 98342
  • scraps of Memory Box Skip to my Lou paper from the Minuet Collection
  • Dill cardstock
  • White notecard
  • green ribbon and fabric 
IMG_0149
  • Gesso and palette knife, white cardstock
  • Memory Box Stencil Diamond No. 88522
  • Distress Ink in Forest Moss, ink blending tool
  • Memory Box Die Kylie Stem No. 98590
  • scrap of Memory Box Skip to my Lou paper from the Minuet Collection
  • green ribbon
  • Memory Box firefly stamp--discontinued
  • Hero Arts black ink
  • small circle punch
IMG_0151
  • Gesso, palette knife, white cardstock
  • White notecard
  • Memory Box Texture Honey Comb Stencil No. 88521
  • Wild Honey Distress Ink, ink blending tool
  • Memory Box Die Honey Bee Skep No. 98491
  • Squash Distressed Dots paper
  • Memory Box stamp Happy Bee-Day No. B1764
  • bee stickers
I know that there are several new embossing pastes available and they are on my wish list.  In the meantime I am quite happy with the results using gesso.

1 comment: